Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Shop Talk

Time to dork out about fabricating bike trailers.
This is the adjustable jig I made, being used to square up a hoop that will be the main frame of a bike trailer. It's basically a flat surface to which items can be conveniently clamped in various configurations. An essential part are the four pieces of angle iron that have clamp tabs welded to them. I square up the angle iron pieces to the desired dimensions, then it can aid me in the making of tubular hoops. When making sure things are square in the backyard with only a tape measure, its essential to have access to nice corners. I use the corners of the angle iron to square up. In tubular structures with bends, there are no corners so I have to have some kind of external reference structure. That's when the jig steps in.

Its sitting on some sawhorses made from rebar. I salvaged some rebar from a junk pile and I finally got around to making something out of it. My friend Tim (bandmate/ drummer for The Inheritance (http://www.myspace.com/theinheritanceatx) helped me make them so he could practice welding.


No comments:

Post a Comment